Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Aventuras en Madrid

Day two of my trip to Spain. I'm tired and jet-lagged, if that's even a term, but I suppose the concept comes across pretty clearly. Even so, classes start tomorrow.

The people here are wonderful. They are nice and friendly, and they don't care that we, the group and I, sound like gringo fools when we speak Castilian.

Today, I toured the Plaza Mayor, which was perhaps one of the most beautiful and amazing places I have ever seen. It was built by Phillip III around 1619.

I even think that Madrid is the most beautiful city I have ever been to, topping Kiev, San José, Rio de Janeiro, and New York.

I ate at the oldest still-operating restaurant in the world. It's called Restaurante Botín. It was started in 1725.

The city and the people simply drip (I hesitate to use the word ooze because of the negative sorts of connotations associated therewith) culture and affición. This is a wonderful country.

Pura Vida.

No comments:

Post a Comment